Who We Are
Radical Arts for Women(RAW) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the support and encouragement of Women artists in Alaska.
The intent and purpose of Radical Arts for Women (RAW) is to:
- Bring together Alaskan women in all their diversity, with an emphasis on the lesbian and feminist communities and talent Alaskan women would not otherwise have the opportunity to see and hear.
- Build and strengthen their ties with one another and to sustain a strong, connected community and culture of women in Alaska.
- Provide opportunities for Alaskan women to express and share their creativity, talents and skills in the producing, performing, and visual arts. RAW strives to provide creative opportunities for women in:
- Produce, promote and present performing and visual arts events and other events of interest to Alaskan women, particularly lesbians and feminist and their allies.
· Artistic development and performance
· Collaborative creative projects
· Production and promotion of lesbian and feminist artist
· Live performances, concerts and other community events
- Geysa Aldebot; President
- Jill Ramsey; Secretary
- Dolores Catherino; Board Member
- Gay Wolfenberger; Treasurer
Herstory (How it all Began...)
Celebration of Change was born in 1983 when a bunch of women envisioned a live production that would bring together women to share music, poetry, drama, art, dance, humor and spirituality. It was meant to be a one-time gig, but the community enjoyed it so much that a group, named 15% because a study said homosexuals represented 15 percent of the population, organized and made Celebration an annual event. 15% underwent radical changes and Celebration almost ended, however, by this time a new crop of women wanted to continue the tradition. And so Radical Arts for Women (RAW) was created. RAW produced Celebration of Change in 1996, and today the event is an annual fundraiser for RAW. Through the years, Celebration has undergone many changes and will continue to evolve with the community; if you have a vision, please consider joining the Celebration Committee next year or getting involved with RAW.