Nicole Blizzard Short Story Contest
2013 Winner - "Geology" by Martha Amore"
This year's winner of the Nicole Blizzard Short Story Contest is "Geology" by Martha Amore of Anchorage. One judge described the piece as "beautiful writing, interesting story." Another judge wrote "this story was an absolute and utter joy to read." Ms. Amore will receive $500, and her story has now been published on www.radicalartsforwomen.org.
'Geology' is a story about who we are and who we could be. At a party, "a sprawling Alaska affair with two bonfires, three kegs, and an edgy pack of dogs vying for salmon skin and dominance," a married woman and a geologist meet and begin an ill-fated romance.
The Nicole Blizzard Short Story Contest is presented by Radical Arts for Women and is open to all women living in Alaska. The fiction pieces must contain some lesbian content. Submissions for the 2013 contest came from Juneau, Anchorage, Palmer, Eielson Air Force Base/Fairbanks, Homer, Eagle River and Haines.
2013 Short Story Contest Winners
Grand Prize Winner
- "Geology" by Martha Amore
- "On the Line" by Rosalie Loewen
- "The Man of Her Dreams" by Lizbeth Meredith
- "Dance Camp" by simon langham
- "Kissing Angels" by Cassandra Martin
- "Beware, The Temptress Comes" by Kellie Doherty
- "Connection" by Karen Rasmussen
- "Silences" by Gabrielle Jolivette
- "Sand Box" by Heather A. Warren
- "An Escort for the Evening" by Heather Teel
Previous Years' Winners
Click here to see previous years' winners.